Thursday, August 6, 2009

Review: Monginis (Zamalek)


I decided to conduct my first review on one of my personal favorite places in Cairo, Monginis. It is is bakery / sweets shop, and although it has many locations throughout Cairo, I frequent the one in Zamalek, since it is very close to my apartment. I always get an eclair, although their specialty is definitely the oriental sweets and cakes.

So, my reviews will be taking the following format:

Name: Monginis
Type: Bakery
Location: Zamalek, Cairo, Egypt
Food Quality & Freshness: 7/10
Food Taste: 9/10
Service: 10/10
Value for Money: excellent

Upon walking into Monginis, it is very easy to forget that you are in Egypt - the clean store, fast service and variety of both European and Oriental baked goods and sweets are not characteristic of the area, but a pleasant sight for Egyptians and expats alike. Everything looks beautiful and smells tempting, and I often receive free samples. The cakes are very grand in appearance, and all of the chocolates look beautiful. Cakes run from 50-90 LE, a kilo of baklava or kunafa will run from 30-70 LE, and cake slices, eclairs and the like are around 3 LE. There are usually no less than three eager employees behind the glass cases, sometimes up to six, and they package your item in the characteristic orange Monginis box. My only critique is that sometimes the cakes and other European items can be a bit drier or less delicate than you might expect, but they definitely fill the craving. I have yet to find an item I do not enjoy.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your valubale comment about us ABI.
    We are really pleased with your feedback.
    Do write to us so we can improve further more.

    Thank you.
    Monginis Team Egypt.
    www.monginis.net
    monginis@monginisbakery.com

    ReplyDelete